Make Correct Heat Insulation!
Before the winter, each of us carefully examines the wardrobe and footwear, because this will dictate whether we will be cold in winter, and whether we need additional warm clothes. But what we can do with our homes? They must be heat insulated too. But how you can do this correctly, without making damage to your apartment, or neighbors, or the building in general?
If you made a decision on modernization or heat insulation of your building, remember that your building is an integral object, and its reconstruction should be complex. To avoid future negative consequences of your desire to insulate your building (private or multi-apartment building) – damage to the building structure or appearance of mold as a result of incorrect heat insulation, – it is necessary to conduct the works in the following sequence:
1. Conduct energy audit of the building. Energy audit is a technical survey of the building envelope (condition of the doors, windows, roof, walls etc.), and engineering systems of the building (heating, ventilation, cooling, lighting, hot water supply, electricity supply and gas supply systems) for operation of which fuel and energy resources are used. This survey allows to identify amount and efficiency of energy resources consumption. Based on the received results, the energy auditor identifies the building energy efficiency potential, and designs measures to improve energy efficiency. They are fundamental for selection and development of the solution for modernization and heat insulation of the building.
2. Develop the design and estimate documents indicating all technical solutions on building modernization, and their cost.
3. The customer must approve the design and estimate documents.
Afterwards, building heat insulation and modernization works can be conducted. Their sequence should be as follows:
- preparatory works;
- repair/replacement of windows, entrance and balcony doors, entrance doors;
- repair/replacement of windows at staircases, in common corridors and halls, on technical floor and in attic;
- modernization of internal building engineering systems; and
- heat insulation of the building envelope and hydro insulation of the roof.
Depending on the amount of previously fulfilled works, the indicated sequence can be somewhat changed. But one should remember that the building is an integral system, and modernization and heat insulation works should be conducted throughout the building.
With respect to the normative framework regulating modernization and heat insulation, there are the State Building Codes (DBN) which are obligatory for fulfillment, and State Standards of Ukraine (DSTU) which have voluntary nature, unless otherwise identified by a by-law.
- ДБН В.2.6-31:2006
- ДБН В.2.5-67:2013
- ДСТУ Б EN 15232:2011
- ДСТУ Б В.2.2-39:2016
- ДСТУ-Н Б В.3.2-3:2014
USAID Municipal Energy Reform Project in Ukraine